FINANCE AND HR ASSOCIATE
Nexus Community Partners seeks a part time Finance and HR Associate (20 hours a week).
Nexus Community Partners is a nonprofit organization dedicated to building community wealth & power and advancing racial equity in the Twin Cities. Nexus is an intermediary whose mission is to “build more engaged and powerful communities of color by supporting community-building initiatives and foster social and human capital.” Nexus is all about building community through relationships: between community-based organizations, the public sector, and other nonprofits and funders. We work to make sure that communities of color are at the forefront of making decisions that impact them and that they have the power and tools to generate and maintain wealth.
The major activities that Nexus engages in are:
- Systems Change: As an intermediary, we bridge partnerships between other funders, partners in the public sector, and community partners (such as neighborhood organizations and small nonprofits) to develop more equitable systems in areas like transit planning, philanthropy, and public health.
- Capacity Building Support: As a funder, we strengthen the power of on-the-ground organizations in communities of color through financial support and technical assistance. We help these organizations build their leadership and organizational infrastructure, develop programs, implement community engagement strategies, improve their fundraising, and more.
- Building Leaders: We provide leadership development opportunities for people of color interested in influencing public policy and developing community wealth through cooperative economics.
Nexus’ Administrative team is responsible for ensuring that the operations of the organization run effectively and in a manner reflective of our values.
- Manage the Accounts Payable process including processing invoices and check requests, recording monthly automatic payments, processing monthly employee expense reports, recording monthly credit card and debit reports, printing checks, and mailing payments.
- Assist with Accounts Receivable including recording and preparing deposits of checks received via mail, record electronic deposits, record grants received, and assist with Nexus’ invoices.
- Assist with the annual audit by preparing electronic and paper files in accordance with Nexus’ financial policies and working with the Director of Finance and HR.
- Assist the Director of Finance and HR in the areas of budgeting, financial reporting, and expense analysis.
- Assist with the hiring process including the posting of new positions, managing incoming resumes and inquires, printing resumes for review committees, responding via email to all applicants, and assist with onboarding.
- Assist with administering PTO including following up with Nexus staff and updating the tracking spreadsheet.
- Assist with benefits administration as needed.
- Assist the Director of Finance and HR in the areas of the Wellness program, organizing staff learning opportunities, and the staff review process.
- Develop community awareness of Nexus and be a positive, dynamic presence for Nexus.
- Function effectively as a leader, team member, and problem solver in order to ensure that the goals and objectives of Nexus are met.
- Provide support as needed for other projects, such as the broader evaluation and communication for Nexus.
- Help build organizational capacity, including strategizing around organizational or program development, developing documentation, supporting communications, and participating in professional development trainings.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Associate’s degree preferred and/or 2-3 years relevant experience in nonprofit and/or community work.
- Must be detail oriented.
- Proficient in Microsoft Excel, required.
- Experience working in QuickBooks and/or QuickBooks for Nonprofits a plus.
- Experience working in A/P and/or A/R a plus.
- Curiosity and a willingness to learn.
- Ability to self-motivate and self-direct; organize own work, set priorities and meet critical deadlines.
- Flexibility regarding work assignments and ability to respond positively to changing demands and priorities.
- Understands and embraces efforts that promote racial, social and economic equity and asset-based community change.
- Capacity to work cross-culturally to achieve understanding and results. Ability to establish and maintain trust readily with a diverse set of partners.
- Ability to work in a team environment.
- Demonstrated experience in exercising a high level of discretion and integrity in carrying out financial and HR support duties of a confidential nature.
- You need to be able to both see possibility and ask hard questions with respect and discretion.
- Excellent oral and written communications skills.
The ideal candidate would be able to start October 2017.
Salary range: $17.00 – $21.00/hour (plus limited benefits as a part time employee)
The position will remain open until filled.
Qualified candidates should send a resume and cover letter via email to:
Nexus Community Partners
2314 University Ave W, Suite 18
St. Paul, MN 55114
NEXUS IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE
The Finance and HR Associate will report to the Director of Finance and HR.
Nexus offers competitive compensation commensurate with experience and a highly participatory, mutually supportive workplace. We are committed to the personal and professional growth of all staff.